Energy & the Environment
California's 37th Congressional District is home to beautiful natural landscapes that we must preserve for future generations.
Congressmember Karen Bass understands that protecting the environment is a critical part of protecting the health of all Americans. Clean air and water and the preservation of natural resources are issues of utmost concern to protect both Americans today and of future generations. Combating climate change is one of the greatest challenges facing both our nation and the entire international community.
In order to address these issues, Congressmember Bass is committed to investing in new technology and renewable resources that meet America’s increasing energy needs and protect both the environment and national security. Representative Bass believes that investing in cleaner, more cost-effective energy will reduce the effects of global warming, reduce our dependence on foreign oil and create clean energy jobs here in America.
Key Environmental Initiatives & Accomplishments
Congressmember Karen Bass is committed to advancing legislation that protects the environment, preserves our natural resources, and provides safe and humane conditions for animals. In fact, as highlighted by the League of Conservation Voters scorecard, Representative Bass has one of the strongest environmental voting records of any Member of the Congress.
- Introduced Legislation Banning Use of Federal Funds For Fracking At Inglewood Oil Field
- Voted against the development of the Keystone XL pipeline
- H.R. 3: Northern Route Approval Act
- Voted against drastic cuts to clean energy development and clean water protection
- H.R. 2609: Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2014
- Voted for protection of conservation programs
- H.R. 2642: Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
- H.R.1154: BREATHE Act
- H.R.1351: Public Lands Service Corps Act of 2013
- H.R.627: National Park Service 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R.139: Udall-Eisenhower Arctic Wilderness Act
- H.R.1175: Focused Reduction of Effluence and Stormwater runoff through Hydrofracking Environmental Regulation Act of 2013
- H.R.1921: Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act of 2013
- H.R. 1998: Big Cats and Public Safety Protection Act
- H.R. 847: Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act
Environmental Issues in California’s 37th District
California’s 37th District includes a number of environmental treasures as well as a very sizable constituency of environmental activists. Representative Bass is committed to continuing to amplify the voice of her constituents and prioritize the environment in Congress.
Local environmental priorities include:
- Expanding park and recreational facilities
- Ensuring safe extraction of oil in the Inglewood Oil Field
- Protecting Ballona Creek
- Implementing the ground-breaking environmental laws in California, such as AB 32, the Global Warming Solutions Act
- Reducing pollution by supporting the expansion of public transportation – like the Crenshaw-LAX Light Rail, the Westside Extension Subway, and expanded bus routes
- Cleaning up brownfields
For more information concerning my work and views on energy and the environment, please contact my Washington, DC office. I look forward to your feedback.