Frequently Asked Questions About Federal Agencies
Some Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
My office can help you with determining Social Security benefits, as well as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Medicare eligibility.
- Do you want to know if you qualify for disability and SSI? Use Social Security's Screening Tool (BEST) to check if you do.
- Do you need information on how to apply for Medicare? Go to the Medicare Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Do you have other general questions about social security services and benefits? Find an answer on the Social Security Administration's Answers to Your Questions page.
My office can work to provide assistance with your loans, but please keep in mind that Congressmember Bass cannot supersede a bank’s operating practices. To receive help with your loans, call my Los Angeles office at 323-965-1422.
My office can assist you with receiving benefits, eligibility determination, and replacement of medals earned.
- Would you like to apply for veterans benefits? Use VONAPP to apply online.
- Would you like to appeal a decision? To get started, read the Board of Veterans Appeal’s How Do I Appeal? Pamphlet here.
- You may decide to be represented by an accredited Veterans Service Organization (VSO), attorney, or claims agent. Find an official one here.
- Get more answers to frequently asked questions about the veterans' benefits appeals process here.
Internal Revenue Service
My office can help with questions regarding the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) The Internal Revenue Service provides constituents with tax payer assistance for personal, business, non-profit, retirement, and Affordable Care Act questions. The IRS website can be found here.
- My office can help you with contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service, which is an independent organization within the IRS, headed by the National Taxpayer Advocate. To learn about your California Taxpayer Advocate, click here.
- Need help finding forms or publications from this year or last year, you can find the forms here on the IRS website.
- How can I contact the IRS? Click here.
We can help you expedite your passport application in an emergency, report lost passports, and monitor overseas travel restrictions.
- For general questions regarding the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs passport services, see the State Department's Frequently Requested Information Web page.
My office can help with immigration petitions, adjustments of status, naturalization and non-immigrant petitions that have been delayed or lost.
- Do you need to schedule an appointment with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)? Use InfoPass to make an appointment online.
- Are you wondering when an immigrant visa will become available to you or a family member? You can find out by reviewing the State Department's Visa Bulletin.
- Do you need to find out how to file an application with USCIS? Go to Forms and Fees (165KB PDF) on the USCIS website.
- Find services for anyone who has a case pending with USCIS here.
- Do you have other general questions about immigration and naturalization? Find an answer on the USCIS Frequently Asked Questions Web page.
- Apply for lawful permanent residence ("green cards") here.
- Obtain information on naturalization here.
- Apply to gain employment authorization here
- Find safe and credible immigration legal advice.
- Learn more about obtaining an immigration medical examination.
- Learn the process for adopting a child from another country.
Still have federal agency questions? Visit USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal or contact my Los Angeles office.