Watch Congressmember Bass speak about health care here.
Health care should be a right not a privilege. However, tens of millions of Americans go uninsured or are burdened by the high costs of health care, putting the health of our communities and our country at risk. The passage of Affordable Care Act ensures that every American has access to affordable, quality health care. The Affordable Care Act also builds a strong health care workforce and promotes job creation. Even though Republicans have attempted to repeal health care dozens of times, Congressmember Bass has consistently voted against repealing this landmark bill and will continue to ensure it is fully implemented.
Click the chart above to see how the Affordable Care Act is changing health care across the country.
The Republican plan to end Medicare is very real. They are fixated on cutting benefits and want to put insurance companies in control of your health. They want insurers to decide what tests and treatments seniors receive, and Democrats are united like never before in opposition to this scheme. Reforms to Medicare that break a pledge we have made to our seniors is wrong and will not stand.
Millions of Americans are dependent on Medicaid as a vitally important program for medical care and medication. This safety net provides low-income families with the access they need to stay healthy during difficult times and helps to lift families out of poverty. Congressmember Bass will continue to protect Medicaid regardless of the Republican attempt to balance the budget on the backs of the neediest Americans.
Key Health Care Initiatives & Accomplishments
Congressmember Bass is committed to protecting access to affordable health care, closing health care disparities and increasing technology in the health care system. As a former Physician Assistant (PA), she has both personal and professional experiences that inform her voting record in Congress. This is why Congressmember Bass has continued to fight vote against any attempts Republicans have made to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
Bass Legislation & Key Votes
- Introduced H.R.1790: Health IT Modernization for Underserved Communities Act of 2013
- Voted against recent Republican efforts to repeal health care reform
- Voted against banning the use of federal funds For Planned Parenthood
- H.R.321: Firearm Safety and Public Health Research Act of 2013
- H.R.485: National Nurse Act of 2013
- H.R.725: Real Education for Healthy Youth Act of 2013
- H.R.728: Access to Birth Control Act
- H.R.855: Optometric Equity in Medicaid Act
- H.R.920: National Health Service Corps Improvement Act of 2013
- H.R.1830: Accelerating the End of Breast Cancer Act of 2013
Health Care Issues in California’s 37th District
California’s 37th District is home to a committed group of health care advocates and professionals. Congressmember Bass is strongly committed to protecting access to affordable health care across the 37th District and the United States.
Congressmember Bass has hosted and attended many town halls devoted to helping constituents learn more about health care reform and get enrolled in Covered California.
Watch coverage of a 2011 Health care Town Hall.
- View photos of the March 2014 Community Health Fair & Enrollment Event.
- View photos of Congressmember Karen Bass's Healthcare Reform and You: Town Hall & Resource Fair in November 2013.
- View photos from Congressmember Bass's meeting with health care providers in 2011.
Local health care priorities include:
- Ensuring that everyone understands how to get the health care they deserve through the Affordable Care Act and the new California health exchange, Covered California.
- Closing the gap in disproportionate health care access among communities of color and protecting Medi-cal's essential care for our nation’s most vulnerable populations.
- Protecting and providing resources for Medicare for the 80,330 senior citizens in the 37th District.
- Ensuring that access to family planning is available throughout the community.
- Protecting the Affordable Care Act and other resources to ensure that the health care professionals in the six hospitals and throughout the 37th District can perform their duties.
For assistance with health care enrollment, feel free to call Maral Karacussian in my LA Office. For more information concerning my work and views on health care, please contact my Washington, DC office. I look forward to your feedback.
- Get answers to your frequently asked questions about Medi-Cal, California's Medicaid health care program.
- Learn how the health care law is making a difference for people in California.
- Enroll in or update a Covered California health insurance plan.
- Struggling to separate fact from fiction about the Affordable Care Act? Get the facts from the White House.
- Read a mailer about what health care reform means for your family.
- Read Congressmember Bass's Statement on Obamacare’s Benefits To Californians as the 3rd Anniversary of Healthcare Reform Nears
More on Health Care
Obamacare isn’t just a healthcare plan, it’s also a jobs plan. If Republicans destroy the ACA, they are not only abandoning millions of Americans with new health benefits, they are also abandoning those jobs. Thank you to those you who flooded my offices with calls yesterday to share your stories. Know that I hear you and will stand to protect Medicare and Obamacare. Watch my interview from last night on MSNBC below.
Yesterday, the House of Representatives voted to pass a bipartisan bill that allows the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to continue funding the National Human Trafficking Hotline (NHTH). Rep. Karen Bass, a cosponsor of the bill, made the following statement prior to its passage on the House Floor.
Los Angeles-On Sunday, July 31, 2016, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Health Braintrust with the support of Congressional Representatives Karen Bass (D-California) and Robin Kelly (D-Illinois) joined with the Ward African Methodist Episcopal Church of South Los Angeles and Health Net to host a free Church Community Health Fair.