Rep. Bass Announces Art Competition Winner at Reception
May 12, 2018
LOS ANGELES – Today, Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.) hosted a reception to honor the nearly 300 high-school art competition participants. More than 250 constituents attended the art celebration, and saw those selected for awards, including the First Place winner, Brennan Elliott of Culver City High School. Brennan will have his artwork displayed for a year in the halls of the Capitol in Washington, D.C., and get to fly to the opening reception for all of the winning artists from across the country. His winning piece, Imani, depicts a student (pictured above) who was in his mother’s fourth grade class.
This year 21 educators from 18 high schools, submitted 288 pieces of art for the contest.
“It’s exciting to see the Congressional Art Competition in my district grow every year,” Rep. Bass said. “More and more students can see their art displayed in a professional manner, and can understand that we value their work and their courage in submitting.”
12 students from 8 schools in all won cash prizes, including 8 Honorable Mentions.
- 1st Place - Brennan Elliot (Culver City High School)
- 2nd Place - Logan Conner (LACES High School)
- 3rd Place - Hannah Ginsberg (City of Angels High School)
- 4th Place - Alyssa Hatakeyama, (Alliance Dr. Olga Mohan High School)
- Norma Carrillo (Crenshaw High School)
- Allison Chew (Culver City High School)
- Camila Fernandez (Culver City High School)
- Alina Klepikova (Los Angeles High School)
- Nia Gabrielle Marshall (Mira Costa High School)
- Linsey Montgomery (View Park Prep High School)
- Siena Nellis (Culver City High School)
- Isabella Rendon (Notre Dame High School)