Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is casework and how can Congressmember Bass help me?

A: Casework is one of the most important functions of my work in Congress.  The term casework refers to the assistance that my office can provide residents of the 37th Congressional District.  If you cannot get an answer from a federal agency or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help. Residents of the 37th District can contact me for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. This includes casework related to:

  • Immigration
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Loans
  • Veterans Issues
  • Social Security and Medicare

Click here to find out more information about getting help with a federal agency.

Please note that civil or criminal cases are out of the jurisdiction of Congress. 

Additionally, issues like garbage collection, road repair and other local issues can be addressed by the City and County of Los Angeles. Please visit our Local Government page to find the appropriate local agencies to help with local issues.

Q: How do I start casework in the Los Angeles Office?

A: I am required to obtain a copy of a signed Casework Authorization Form.  Please complete the Authorization Form and return it by standard mail, email to Claudia Aragon or fax to (323) 965-1113. 

Fill out the Authorization Form here.

A signed copy of the form is necessary under the 1974 Privacy Act to authorize our office to inquire and obtain information about your case. Additionally, please list any relevant information, such as a claim, appeal, or reference number on the Authorization Form and/or provide copies of any documents that you believe may be helpful. 

My staff will contact you soon after receiving the Authorization Form and your documents to inform you that we have initiated our assistance in resolving your issue. If you have any questions or concerns regarding casework, please feel free to contact my Los Angeles Office at (323) 965-1422.

Q: How do I find out if I live in California’s 37th District?

A:   You can visit and enter your five-digit zip code.  Many zip codes in the Los Angeles area require a 4-digit extension in order to accurately determine who represents a specific district in Congress.  Alternatively, you may also type in your mailing address after entering your zip code.

Click here for a map of the 37th District.

If you have still have questions regarding who your representative is, please call my Los Angeles Office at 323-965-1422.

Q: I am coming to Washington, DC. Can your office help coordinate tours?

A: My office can provide tickets for tours on a first-come, first-served basis. We currently can provide tickets for tours of the Capitol, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and the Library of Congress. Unfortunately, due to staffing reductions resulting from sequestration tours of the White House are closed until further notice.

Please fill out this form if you are interested in requesting tours.

If you have any questions about tours or visiting Washington, DC, please contact Kawther Berhanu in my Washington, DC office.

Q: How do I voice my opinion regarding legislative policy?

A:  There are several ways you can contact my office in order to voice your opinion on legislative policy. Here are the ways:

  • Email: Click here to email me.
  • Phone: Call 202-225-7084 and speak to a member of my staff
  • Fax: Fax your opinion to 202-225-2422.
  • Mail: Mail your comment to the Office of Congressmember Karen Bass, 408 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515. (Please be aware that this is the slowest option as all postal mail sent to my offices must be scanned for security purposes, which means it will take an additional two weeks for me to receive it.)

Q: Can I invite Congressmember Bass to an event or request a meeting with her?

A: You can invite me to an event or request a meeting by filling out this form.

Q: Does the Office of Congressmember Bass provide internship opportunities for college students?

A:  Internships and fellowships with the Office of Congressmember Bass run throughout the fall, spring and summer semesters for students.  The internship program is unpaid, but students gain invaluable work experience in the office.

Click here to learn more about our internship program.

If you are interested in applying to intern the Los Angeles District Office, please Claudia Aragon. To apply for a position in my Washington, DC office please Kawther Berhanu your resume and cover letter, and indicate the dates and times of availability in the body of the email.

Q: How can I request a flag be flown over the Capitol?

A:  Flags can be requested to be flown over the Capitol for a particular person, event or organization and can even be flown on a specific date.  Flag requests can be made online and can be processed using check or credit card. 

To order a flag, click here.

If you still have questions, please Kawther Berhanu.

Q: What does a Member of Congress do?

A: Click here to learn more about the legislative process.